Neck Pain Specialist
Neck pain can interrupt your day-to-day and quality of life. Continued pain can make turning your head challenging and can extend down into the shoulders. At Mouroux Chiropractic, Dr. Bradley Mouroux uses chiropractic adjustments to provide effective pain relief for neck pain to patients throughout West San Jose, CA, and surrounding areas including Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Cambrian Park, and Willow Glen.
Neck Pain Q & Aby Bradley Mouroux, DC, CCSP, CPAK
What causes neck pain?
The neck is responsible for holding the full weight of the head and the movement of it. Even though the neck is pliable, it can become vulnerable to injury and pain. A pinched nerve is one of the most common reasons for neck pain to appear. This pinch occurs when the vertebrae of the neck shift out of alignment, pressing down on the nerves. When this pressure develops, it can cause pain in the neck and possibly other extremities. Vertebrae can shift out of alignment from:
- Awkward sleeping positions
- Hunching over or poor posture
- Having your neck forced beyond its normal range of motion
Can you prevent neck pain?
Most of the reasons for neck pain to develop can be avoided with a few lifestyle adjustments, such as:
- Keeping good posture when sitting or standing
- Having your computer monitor at eye-level
- Sleeping on a pillow that’s firm
- Not sleeping on your stomach
- Exercising regularly
What is treatment like?
Neck pain treatment focuses on the supportive structure of the neck including the muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, and bones. An examination will be done initially to determine what is causing the neck pain. Once the cause has been diagnosed, a specific treatment plan can be created for your symptoms. Some of these treatments can include:
- Resting the painful area for a few days
- Refraining from activities that strain neck muscles, joints, or ligaments
- Using prescription medications to reduce inflammation, relax muscles, and relieve pain
- Massage Therapy using a TENS unit (electrical stimulation machine) to alleviate pain caused by tension
- Spinal adjustments of the vertebrae in the neck can bring neck pain relief
You should see Dr. Mouroux for neck pain if:
- Pain and stiffness doesn’t improve after a few days
- You’re unable to turn your head
- You have to take over-the-counter medications to treat your pain
- There's numbness or tingling in your hands or wrists
- The neck pain started within a few days of an accident