Our San Jose Chiropractor Diagnoses & Treats Sciatica
At Moroux Chiropractic, our chiropractor in Cupertino treats a wide variety of conditions; sciatica is one of the most common he sees among his patients from all walks of life.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a syndrome caused by compression of the sciatic nerve. This nerve (you have one on the right and left side in your lower back) is the largest in your body and provides motor and sensory information to the legs.
What could be compressing the sciatic nerve?
- An abnormal joint, either due to inflammation (osteoarthritis), misalignment (joint subluxation or dislocation), or narrowing (stenosis)
- An injured muscle, or a muscle in spasm
- An injured disc (bulge or herniation)
- A bony spur, cyst, or tumor
- Systemic inflammation
Sciatic nerve root compression can occur due to genetics, environment, or a combination thereof. Risk factors include:
- Poor posture
- Repetitive movement
- Sports injury
- Auto accident injury
- Slip and fall
Men between the ages of 35 to 55 are at a particular risk for sciatica, as are pregnant women, people who are overweight, people who smoke, or people who have a physically demanding job.
Sciatica Symptoms & Signs
Interestingly, the main symptoms of sciatica show up in the leg and include numbness, tingling, burning or searing pain that radiates from the buttocks down to the knee and rarely the foot. Symptoms are generally located on one side of the body.
People with sciatica may also experience stiffness in their lower back and reduced tolerance to sitting and standing.
How Our San Jose Doctor of Chiropractic Treats Sciatica Pain
Our San Jose chiropractic doctor offers a variety of services that can help you alleviate your sciatica symptoms—without drugs or invasive procedures. Services may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments: restore normal alignment of your spinal joints and trigger hormones which relieve pain
- Spinal decompression: relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve and accelerate healing of injured discs if present
- Massage therapy: stimulate localized circulation, relax muscles in spasm, and reduce stress-related hormones
- Corrective exercises: prescribed and instructed in a way to facilitate improved flexibility in the hips and core stability as a way to prevent continued strain on the sciatic nerve and improve your tolerance to various physical tasks
Contact Our Chiropractor in San Jose for Sciatica Treatment
If you live near San Jose, Willow Glen, Cambrian Park, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Campbell, or a surrounding community, know that natural healing and wellness isn't far away. Contact Moroux Chiropractic in San Jose now at (408) 379-8888 if you need help with your sciatica or other health condition.